Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Time to start...

I have been thinking about doing some family blogging for sometime now and just never seemed to get started. Well today is the day! There are a few reasons for this and that's where I'll start.

Claire is now almost 4 months old and we've been struggling with reflux for a while now.  We've tried medication at different doses to keep up with her growing...we've tried cereal...
Neither seemed to be working and after sitting up in the chair with her most of the night in order to get her to sleep I decided we were heading back to the doctor.
I was assuming that the doctor would change or add to the medication, but instead she suggested something that I didn't think was a possibility. Not that I didn't think it could be one, just that it wasn't first in my mind.
Dairy issues...
So now we have few options left. First Claire has to be willing to take a bottle or I have to cut out ALL dairy from my diet. After looking at the diet option I realized that it would not be easy! So I decided it was time to give the bottle a try. She took one when she was very little so I was hopeful.
It proved to be a very tiring and difficult battle for the day. She didn't want anything to do with it. Everytime I tried she would cry harder. Worst part was when I would hold her and she would get excited because she thought she was going to get to nurse...heartbreaking!
I was also hoping that Kyle would be able to convince her, but sadly he had to help at a track meet and due to weather it went about 2 hours later than we had hoped.
Long story short; She was willing to have cereal and eventually did give in to the bottle. Only about an ounce at first, but by bed time she was gulping it down. The first night also went well...she ate a few times and even took a binky!

Before I move on from this post I would like to point out one last thing.
I started this blog on Tuesday, it is now Wednesday morning. My computer was acting up so I was never able to finish blogging yesterday. Yesterday was a difficult day and that's why I felt the need to "write".  Let's just say that I cried right along with Claire for most of the day. Thinking that I was a terrible mom multiple times. I kept thinking that maybe formula was the selfish decision and not what was best for Claire. So then I'd look at the list of foods that I can and cannot eat if I cut out dairy, and litterly sobbed. I am so thankful to wake up this morning feeling much better about the whole thing. Claire may still fight with me for a few days and we may cry together when she is devastated and wanting to nurse, but I know that it's just part of her growing up.

So now we move on to another day and another challenge...figuring out the best way (and time) to "stop" milk production.
(I would have loved to have posted a photo of her cereal eating for this post, but still having computer issues and am using Kyle's computer today)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear she is taking the bottle and eating her cereal! You are a really great mom!

    ReplyDelete